What is an Action Card:
Action Cards are themes and topics that you as young people raise as important issues that need action!
When 4 or more young people raise similar feedback or decide that an action card should be raised on a particular topic, an Action Card is raised.
The User Voice and Participation (UVP) Team then have 2 months to raise the voices of the young people and get a response from the relevant services to feedback for review.
Action Cards are only closed with the consent of children and young people.
This year, we are dividing Action Cards into National and Local Action Cards. We have done this so that we can categorise each action card and know which Action Cards relate to services specifically in Surrey and those that relate to the whole of the UK.
What is a Local Action Card?
A local action card relate to topics young people would like to stop, start or change in Surrey specifically.
What is a National Action Card?
A national action card is similar to the local action cards however it can relate to various different services around the UK.
What will we be doing this Year?
Going into 2022 we have a total:
- 3 Local Action Cards
- 6 National & Local Action Cards
- 4 Local Question Cards
- 1 National Question Card.
Local Action Cards:
Action Card 176:
- As young people with additional needs and disabilities, ATLAS would like Special Schools to be renamed Specialist Schools, because Special is a euphemism for disability.
- “Euphemisms are put on terms that are regarded badly by society.”
- “I tend to use the term specialist when talking about schools instead of special. They are targeted for a specific thing, so they are specialist, not special.”
- ATLAS Call for Action is: “Surrey Special Schools” to be renamed “Surrey Specialist Schools.”
Action Card 180:
- As young people with additional needs and disabilities, we would like more information pre-and-post-16 transition including mental health support and what accommodation provision is available in Surrey for all young people with additional needs and disabilities, so that we know what options are available to us when we make decisions about our accommodation.
- ATLAS Call for Action is: A booklet to be created for all young people in Surrey going through post 16 transition. The booklet will include post 16 information including mental health support and accommodation options.
Action Card 181:
- As young people with additional needs and disabilities, we would like more information on what transport provision is available in Surrey for all young people with additional needs and disabilities trying to access education, work, and social activities, so that we can plan our routes and make sure that the choices we make during post-16 transition are accessible to us.
- ATLAS Call for Action is: A webpage to be created to provide all travel options available for young people in Surrey.
Question Card 18:
- As young people in Surrey with Additional Needs and Disabilities, we want to know if there are any ‘Buddy Schemes’ during post 16 transition, so that we feel supported by peers and are able to build positive relationships.
Question Card 26:
- As young people in Surrey with additional needs and disabilities, we would like to know whether there are protections in place to prevent letters containing private information from not sent to our parental homes, where there are safeguarding concerns. So that we feel comfortable knowing our thoughts and feelings are being contained.
Question Card 30:
- As young people with Additional Needs and Disabilities in Surrey, we would like to know if there is a link between Additional Needs and Disabilities with dental hygiene/problems, and if so, what support is there?
Question Card 37:
- Is there a Crisis Text Line for young people with selective mutism/non-verbal?
The User Voice and Participation Team are really looking forward to supporting ATLAS’ action and question cards. We are also looking forward for what new action and question cards 2022 will bring!